Concept safety evaluation
Concept safety evaluation services by Lloyd's Register Energy lead to inherently safer designs.
Concept safety evaluation is the application of inherently safer design principles in order to eliminate existing or projected hazards from the beginning of a project, rather than just controlling them via protective measures later on.
Lloyd's Register Energy advocates the use of concept safety evaluation as part of any smart new project or ongoing process optimization task. By installing layers of protection, such as safety-instrumented systems and protective equipment, clients are able to target hazards and safeguard against them.
Each additional layer of protection requires installation, maintenance, and training. In addition, special care must be taken to incorporate the safety enhancements. While the intent is to make a facility safer, the endeavor typically results in a more complicated and costly arrangement.
Lloyd’s Register Energy business applies inherently safer design principles to every project it undertakes. Inherently safer design involves:
- Minimization - reduce the process throughputs and storage inventories of hazardous and toxic materials
- Moderation - process, store, or transport hazardous and toxic materials under the least hazardous conditions as possible
- Simplification - simplify facility operations and practices to eliminate risk (e.g., use equipment rated for high pressure, incorporate safer materials of construction, remove opportunities for human error, remove need for complex instrumentation)
- Substitution - substitute safer materials wherever possible
Lloyd’s Register Energy business concept safety evaluation audits combine inherently safer design concepts with process hazards analysis, engineering or design projects. By exercising the concepts of safety evaluation and inherently safer design, Lloyd’s Register energy business clients benefit by:
- Operating safer processes
- Manufacturing safer products
- Reducing risk to the environment and community
- Reducing capital, operating, maintenance and energy costs